Tuesday 28 October 2014

Homemade Laundry Soap

 I am always looking for ways to save a little extra money, so when I kept seeing all these recipes on pinterest I decided that I just had to try it out.

I tweaked the recipe a little bit, but if you would like to see the original recipe just click here.
All of the ingredients that are needed for the laundry soap I was able to find at the local grocery store.  I picked up a container and a set of measuring spoons (so I had a scoop) at the dollar store.
To get the soap into small pieces I just used a cheese grater (which I picked up at the dollar store).  Some people use a food processor but I didn't want to get soap in it and then have a soap taste on my food later.

Grating the soap was really really easy and made my living room smell AMAZING.
 
 I added the powder ingredients first, then the soap and the sent add-ins.
After snapping the lid on and giving it a really good shake.  This is what my finished soap looked like.

I used 2 tbs per load for this.  But what I found was this is GREAT for things like linens, towels, jackets etc. it did not do a great job on clothing.  After washing I found that some of my shirts still had some deodorant smell (TMI??)

It does however smell GREAT and I love how my bedding and towel smell afterwards so I will be keeping some on hand to help stretch my  regular detergent.

My tweaked version of Homemade Laundry Soap:

2 cup of Borax
2 cup of washing soda
1 sunlight bar
1 cup sent add-ins

Grate the sunlight bar, I just used a cheese grater bought specifically for this. 
Once grated add the bar to a container and dump in all the other ingredients.
Snap a lid on and give a good shake.
Use 1 to 2 tbs per load the same as any other powder detergent.

No comments:

Post a Comment