Saturday 17 May 2014

A Week of Lunches

For anyone who doesn't know I am a LAZY person.  OK that's not entirely true but I really do like to have some 'down' time each day.  So when I was playing on Pinterest this last weekend and I stumbled across a post about this guy in NY that makes a weeks worth of healthy lunches for less than $5 per serving I was intrigued.

Sadly I didn't remember to keep the original pin but I did bookmark his Instagram site.   


So after stalking checking out his photos and ideas I thought I would give it a go myself.
I decided to try his chicken meatloaf recipe (from May 4th picture) with my own adjustments.

First I gathered all the ingredients
I followed his suggestion and cooked the onion and garlic a bit before mixing it all up in a bowl
I didn't add the red pepper flakes like he suggested but I did however add a big squirt of habanero BBQ sauce.  - Sorry no picture of the mixture my hands were all gooey

While the meatloaf was baking in the oven I started working on the other component for my week of lunches and my breakfast egg cups.

Once the meatloaf was cooked to perfection and all yummy, I removed it from the oven and made egg cups.  I decided to make these first so that the baking pan and meatloaf could cool down since I would need it for the asparagus and beans.

Every week for the last few weeks I have been making 'egg cups' for a quick and easy breakfast on the go.  


I forgot to take pictures of the egg cups before being baked and there isn't really a recipe for them.  All I do is figure out what we have in the fridge that needs to be eaten (this time it was peppers, some already cooked bacon bits and cheese).
Chop everything up, spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and fill a muffin tin with about a Tbs of veggies/meat mixture and add a bit of cheese and sprinkle with salt or whatever spices you like.
Than fill the egg cup up to the first line (or about 1cm from the top) with egg whites.  I buy the big carton of egg whites for this process but you can absolutely use regular eggs I would just pierce the yoke before baking. 
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 mins, and Vola yummy super healthy breakfast.
I have found that if you leave the egg cups in the pan for about 5 mins to cool they are WAY easier to remove.

After the egg cups were done I cooked up the asparagus and the beans (separately) in the oven.  I followed his advice and slightly under cooked them.  Now I used coconut oil with the asparagus and it was a little different to be eating asparagus with a slight coconut flavor.

After everything was all cooked and cooled I portioned everything out in to the containers.
What I found after my first weeks attempt:

1- it is ABSOLUTELY worth the time to prepare all the food.  It was great to not have to worry or thing about lunches at all and to know there was always something healthy and yummy to eat.
2- making 10 portions takes a lot more food that I originally thought.  Next time I would over buy veggies cause I found this week I didn't have quite enough.

Seriously guys if you take a lunch to work you should really check out Sean Peters Instagram site.  He has really figured out/publicized a great idea.  Plus he posts lots of recipes.



No comments:

Post a Comment