Tuesday 8 July 2014

Week of Lunches: Cracked Out Chicken & Rice

Each week I try and make the Hubs and I a weeks worth of lunches.  It takes a bit of work and I am still working out the kinks for figuring out how to work out 10 portions.  If you want to see my other lunch attempts, check out the Recipe section.
But so far it has been a big sucess and worth the extra work on the weekend.
Only 8 servings it's a short week

This week I made Cracked Out Chicken and Rice from Plain Chicken's blog.  You can find the original recipe here.  However I made a few changes to try and make it a bit more healthy and to make enough portions for our lunches.
For my changes, I didn't have any rotisserie chicken so I bought a package of chicken on sale, baked it beforehand and just shredded it so it was ready to go.  I also used brown rice instead of white.  Since I used brown rice I had to cook mine for longer and add extra liquid.  I also subbed in chicken bacon instead of regular bacon.

First I added 1.5 cups of rice to a baking dish with a tight fitting lid, threw in the chicken and some already cooked and chopped bacon.

Than in a separate bowl I mixed in 1 cup of chicken stock, with 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 can of milk (I just used the soup can), and the package of ranch dressing.  Mixing till it was less lumpy.

Dump all that on top of the chicken and rice mixture and give a good mix.

Add a generous cup of grated cheese, mix again, slap on the lid and bake in a 375 degree oven for 60-75mins string a few times so the rice doesn't burn. 
I was very happy with the end result, and it made 8 portions for our lunches.  I just added some roasted asparagus and frozen broccoli to the mix.

It took me about 2.5hrs from start to finish this week to make all the lunches, but now I know no matter what that the Hubs and myself have a lunch for work.

My Recipe:

1.5 cups brown rice (uncooked)
6 skinless chicken thighs already cooked and shredded
6 strips cooked chicken bacon chopped up
1 can low fat cream of chicken soup
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 package of Ranch salad dressing
1 1/4 cup graded cheddar cheese

Combine cooked chicken, rice and bacon in a baking dish with a lid

In a separate bowl combine soup, milk, ranch dressing mix and chicken broth, mix to combine.

Pour liquid mixture over chicken and rice, add cheese and stir to combine.

Cover and bake in a 375 oven, stirring every 20 mins.  If dish looks a little dry or rice is still pretty crunchy after 40 mins add another 1/2 cup of broth stir and keep checking every 20mins.

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment