Monday 10 March 2014

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

So for anyone who doesn't know fiscal year-end (the month of March) is CRAZY at my work.  We work long days to complete contracts and by the time the hubs picks me up from work we don't get home until 6pm.  Which means I am not in the mood to actually cook anything for dinner.  I am much more a reheat and assemble kinda girl.   

Enter tonight's easy almost all ready for us when we get home "healthy" pulled pork.  I got the recipe from one of the blogs I follow (Thank you, "Finding the Silver Linings").  I did however adapt the recipe since I threw it all in the slow cooker right before work and I was trying to get out of my apartment on time.

The reason this recipe is "healthy" is that instead of using pork shoulder or pork butt which are really high in fat it uses pork tenderloin which is a much leaner cut.  I was a little skeptical about the tenderloin drying out from the long slow cooking time, but I am happy to say it wasn't dry at all.

To see the regular recipe please click on the link below (or just go check out Mindy's blog, it has TONS of great food recipes and DIY ideas).  Here is what I did.  I put 2 pork tenderloins into the slow cooker and dumped a whole bottle of BBQ sauce (I used an Apple Butter version that was on sale), filled the empty bottle up about half way with chicken stalk and dumped that in also.  Since I didn't want to chop up any garlic I just used a large teaspoon (cause that's what fits into my little jar) of pre-chopped garlic, and threw in some onion powder for good measure.  Gave everything a stir, set the timer for 8hrs on low and headed off to work.
Doesn't look to shabby




Well when me and the hubs walked in the door it smelled like yummy BBQ with a slight burnt twinge.  Turns out 8hrs might have been a little too long for the sugars in the BBQ, so you might want to adjust that if you make this recipe.  However I was all excited to try this pulled pork so I wasn't going to let a little crispy sugar bits stop me.  After shredding the pork for forever about 3 minutes I employed the hubs to take over so I could microwave the rice and get a veggie ready.
Didn't the hubs do a great job?
I added a splash of cider vinegar to end mix just to perk up the pork a little, and even with the burnt pieces it was pretty tasty dinner.  And there are a TON of leftovers so we have lots of dinner for the rest of the week.
Yum Yum
The end product: Not overly fatty which was nice and lots of leftovers for the rest of the week.
How do you like to eat your pulled pork?

To see the original recipe head on over to Finding the Silver Linings: Skinny Slow Cooker Pulled Pork


No comments:

Post a Comment